Throughout out the 9 days
* Tish'a B'av shoes: If one does not have shoes for Tish'a B'Av, it is permissible to buy them during the 9 days.
* A pregnant or nursing woman who finds it hard to fast should consult (a doctor, and then) the Rov. Please do not wait until the last minute! (if the Rov gives a heter not to fast, discuss with him the laws pertaining to Havdolo: when and how etc.)
Erev Shabbos Chazon
* When preparing the food for Shabbos, it is permissible to taste the fleishig foods to see if they taste good [but we do not partake of the food like every Friday to fulfill .[טועמי' חיים זכו
* The fathers should not forget to bring the shoes for Tish'a B'av to Shul before
Shabbos. (if one forgot, see below in Motzoei Shabbos).
* The famous Moshol (parable): It is a mitzva to publicize ,and especially in the
name of the one who said it, the famous moshol of R' Levi Yitzchok of Berditchev
about Shabbos Chazon, with the father and son and the 3 suits. (See Likutei
Sichos Shabbos Chazon - Volumes Beis, Tes, Chof Tes, Lamed Tes etc.)
Shabbos In the morning before Davening:
* Learning: We learn the Chumash and Tanya of Chitas, Rambam and Chapter
8 of Hilchos Beis Habechira. If one did not manage to do it before Shacharis, it is
permissible (this year) to complete it until Shkiah.
* Krias Hatorah is read as usual ,i.e. the aliya of Sheni begins as regular from
"Eicha''. I heard this from my (wife's) grandfather, R' Mordechai Shusterman who
was the Baal Koreh in 770 and this is how he layend in the Rebbe's Shul. (see
the details in his sefer on page 138).
* Tehillim is said after davening as usual.
Shabbos after Chatzos (midday)
* After Chatzos is it customary to learn things related to Tish'a B'av, and
Chassidus. There are quite a number of sichos, maamorim and farbregens from
Tish'a B'av on Shabbos - [5741, 5748, 5751 and more].
* Earlier: Mincha should be scheduled earlier than usual, to give enough time to
eat Seudah Shlishis.
* Tzidkascha is not recited.
* Pirkei Avos: (seemingly) we do not say Pirkei Avos.
* Eating: It is permissible to eat and drink the whole day, but only until Shkiah
(sundown). We do not eat Seudo Hamafsekes with the egg
and ashes etc.
* Changing shoes: It is not permitted to prepare the shoes for Tish'a B'av, (or
kinos) or to bring them to shul - until shabbos is over and "Boruch Hamavdil" is
* The Rebbe would come to Maariv with Tish'a B'av shoes and Shabbos clothing.
* Maariv is davened a bit later so that everyone has enough time to say " ברוך
המבדיל בין קודש לחול ", change shoes etc.
* [In Shul, after saying ברוך המבדיל בין קודש לחול , the Paroches is removed from
the Aron Kodesh, the lights are dimmed etc.].
* Havdala candle: Women that remain at home, after they have davened maariv
or said ברוך המבדיל , should bentch בורא מאורי האש (but do not view their nails
towards the candles) [or if the husband is still at home before Maariv, he can say
ברוך המבדיל then בורא מאורי האש and then go to shul for Maariv]. The rest of
Havdala is recited Sunday night.
* Low chair: From this point until tomorrow after Chatzos (midday), we sit on low
* Ato Chonantanu: In the Shemona Esrei, Ato Chonantanu is recited.
* Havdolo candle: After Shemona Esrei, (in Shul) a candle is lit and בורא מאורי
האש is recited. The rest of Havdala is recited Sunday night.
* Eicha is recited.
* Vihi Noam: After Eicha we do not say Vihi Noam.
* Veato Kodosh: We say Veato Kodosh.
* Oleinu Leshabeach: then we say Oleinu Leshabeach.
* In 5751 the Rebbe distributed dollars after Maariv.
During the Evening
* A Gutte Voch: We do not wish each other 'a gutte voch'
* Netilas Yadaim (after using the washroom) is only until the knuckles.
* [Havdolo: anyone who received a Heter from the Rov that they do not have to
fast, should make Havdala before eating (without Besamim) as discussed the
details with the Rov].
* On Tish'a B'av, the Rebbe Rasha"b would learn Midrash Eicha Rabba and the
sugya of 'Rabbi Yochanan' in Perek Hanizokin (in Masechte Gittin).
* Chassidus: It is permissible to learn Chassidus (Pnimius Hatorah).
* Siyum: A siyum should be made on any of the Masechtos that are permitted to
be learned on Tish'a B'av.
* Story of the Heiliger Ruzshiner: it is proper to read the story of the Heiliger
Ruzshiner printed in Sefer Haminhogim on page 48.
* Netilas Yodaim only till the knuckles.
שעשה לי כל צרכי" * " is not recited until tomorrow.
* Good morning: We do not wish each other good morning, good day etc.
1. We do not put on Tallis and Tefillin. 2. Tachanun is not said. 3. The Tzitzis are
not held at any point during davening. 4. (Chazan says Anenu and does not say
Birchas Kohanim). 5 .Krias Hatora - and the third aliya is Maftir. (Half Kaddish.
Haftorah. Yehalelu and return the Sefer Torah to the Aron Kodesh). 6. Kinos. 7.
We say Ashrei. We do not say למנצח..יענך . Then we say ". ' ובא לציון...אמר ה " and
we skip ואני זאת בריתי... מעתה ועד עולם and then continue from ואתה קדוש . (Whole
Kaddish without Tiskabel). 8. Aleinu. 9. Each person reads Eicha to himself.
After Chatzos (midday) -
* It is permissible to sit a regular chair.
* This year it permissible to learn the daily Rambam after Chazos.
* [In Shul, before Mincha, we roll back the Sefer Torah to Vayechal and return
the Paroches to the Aron Kodesh.]
* 1. We put on the Tallis and Tefillin. 2. we say the 3 paragraphs of Shema; Shir
Shel Yom; Ein k'elokeinu. 3. Chitas. 4. Korbonos and Mincha, [Krias Hatorah and
Maftir]. 5. In Shemonah Esrei we say Nacheim and Aneinu.
*If one forgot to say Nacheim: He should say it in Shema Koleinu after Aneinu. If
he forgot there, he could say it before Vesechezeno. If he forgot there, he can
say it before V'al Kulam. If he forgot completely, he doesn't have to repeat the
Shemone Esrei again.
If one forgot to say Aneinu :He should say it before the second 'Yihiyu Lerotzon'
but should not say the Beracha at the end. If he forgot completely, he does't have
to repeat the Shemone Esrei again.
* [In Chazaras Hashatz, Birchas Kohanim is recited. Then Aleinu and Kaddish.]
* Rabbeinu Tam's Tefillin are donned as usual. After "Vehoyo ki Yeviacho" we
say the "Shesh Zechiros".
* Tzedoko: In 5751 the Rebbe distributed dollars after Mincha.
* In 5751 the Rebbe said a Sicha and distributed dollars before Maariv.
* We daven Maariv as usual.
* After Maariv: 1. Change to regular shoes. 2. Wash your face. 3. Wash regular
Netilas Yadayim (like in the mornings) without a Beracha. 4. Havdala without
Besamim and a candle. Veyiten Lecha is not recited .5 .Kiddush Levana.
* Women who cannot wait for their husband to come home should make Havdala
for themselves and may drink before Havdala.
* At night, we do not eat meat or drink wine but it is permitted to cut hair and do laundry, take showers, listen to music etc.
May these days quickly turn into days of joy with the revelation of Moshiach Tzidkeinu immediately!